Before you list your item you should always have a general understanding of how much shipping will cost you. Find out this information before you list, and save yourself a headache later on.
Knowing the cost of shipping ahead of time allows you to decide if free shipping, flat rate shipping, or fluctuating shipping best suits your needs.
Before you list your item, do the following:
- Try test packing the item.
- Weigh the package. Measure the height, length, and width.
- Use the dimensions and the weight of your test package to estimate shipping costs
- Select sample ZIP or Postal Codes around your country and estimate the shipping costs to them. Include any remote locations like Hawaii or Alaska in your estimations.
- Decide whether you’ll offer free shipping, fixed rate or calculated shipping.
Doing this ahead of time will save you a headache later. Often new sellers assume shipping will be cheaper than it is, losing money on the items they sell online when it comes time to actually ship it.