Most new Terapeak users begin by selling on eBay. eBay is a great starting platform for online sellers because:
- It does not require complex configuration
- It does not require that you know HTML or website design
- There is no cost to begin selling
- You pay only a small percentage of your sale income in fees
- You can sell new, used, and unusual/rare items
- It is comparatively quick and easy to begin
In general, if you plan to sell on eBay regularly, it is best to create an eBay business account. Business accounts are easier to configure for selling, and make you eligible for regular seller promotions such as fee discounts and free listings.
Creating an eBay Seller Account
To create a new eBay seller account, follow these steps:
Visit eBay.com and click "register" at the upper-left of the page.
Select "Business account" to indicate that you will be selling online.
Enter a business name, email, password, and phone number.*
Provide a business address and primary contact.*
Verify your phone number by entering the code sent to you by SMS.
Enter a business type (for new sellers, usually "Sole proprietorship"), inventory value, and any other business details that eBay requests.*
Select PayPal as your default payment type and continue to verification. Enter your PayPal details when prompted.
Agree to the billing terms and conditions for eBay seller fees.
Click on "Create your business policies" to access the business policies area.
Click Create policy -> Payment to create a payment policy.
Enter a policy name that you'll recognize, such as "My Payment Policy."
Select PayPal as the payment method, enter your PayPal email address, and check the "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" box.
Click Save to save your default payment policy.
* If you do not have a dedicated business name, address, phone number, or other details, use your own personal identifying information. In most U.S. jurisdictions, this identifies you as a sole proprietor (independent business owner). Please check with your own local government to ensure that you comply with all applicable regulations in your area.
You now have an eBay seller account and can list items for sale and receive payments via PayPal.
For more information on creating an eBay account, visit eBay's registration help page at http://pages.ebay.ca/help/account/registration.html.
Opening an eBay Store
If you have already made one or several sales or plan to hit the ground running as quickly as possible, you may also wish to open an eBay Store.
eBay stores offer sellers several benefits, including:
- Reduced fees and free listings
- A dedicated website address where your inventory can be found
- Potential benefits in search availability
- Promotional tools to enable sales and markdowns
- Tools to organize your inventory when presented to buyers
eBay stores are premium features, incur a monthly fee, and are available at several service tiers starting at $19.95 monthly. To read more about eBay store fees and levels, visit eBay's Stores fees page.
To open an eBay store, follow these steps:
Visit the How do I open an eBay Store? page.
Follow the steps there to place a credit card on file with your eBay account.
Ensure that your PayPal account is verified, and contact PayPal for help if it is not.
click "Open an eBay Store now" to begin the stores subscription process.
Once signup is complete, configure your store's appearance and categories.
Once you have an eBay Store up and running, listings that you create will automatically appear in your eBay Store and you're able to configure their location in your store and the promotions that apply to them.