Here is a real world example of a title from an unsuccessful listing with plenty of potential for improvement:
MICHAEL MICHAEL KORS JET SET CROSSBODY LUGGAGE GREAT DEAL NO RESERVE
Why does this title need improvement?
- Only 68 out of 80 characters are used, leaving 12 characters blank
- Only 41 out of 80 characters are being used to attract searches for the product
- The last four keywords attract unspecific shopper traffic, which may increase impressions but lower conversion to clicks and sales
- The second keyword is redundant
- The title uses all upper case letters which can have a negative psychological effect on shoppers.
- Shoppers will decide for themselves whether the item represents a great deal or not.
- Shoppers who search with “–reserve” in the search engine, would omit this listing from search results.
Lets use Terpeak SEO to re-build this title and see what we come up with:
NEW MICHAEL KORS Jet Set Leather Messenger Crossbody Bag BLACK Chain Strap Zip
What was improved?
- 78/80 characters used
- The keywords use regular lower case and capital letters
- All of the keywords are used to attract searches for the product
- Title contains more product feature details such as material, strap and closure
- The title is more informative to shoppers and may improve conversion between impressions and clicks.